Skip to main content

A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words

I'm sure you've heard the phrase, " A picture is worth a thousand words". This phrase comes to mind  when I look at a photo of myself from October of 2018. The photo was taken during Halloween and I had dressed as a gypsy. No offense to anyone who has a "gypsy" heritage/ancestry.

Since I was young I have been fascinated by old movies featuring the typical gypsy fortune teller. And I have loved this image with all of its magic and mystique ever since. So I was so excited to dress up and hand out candy. I took a photo of my garb in all its glory. Then upon seeing this image I was instantly saddened at what appeared before my eyes. Look at this fat lady. My goodness how did I become so wide? I was horrified at my now scary costume.

I have struggled on and off with weight gain since high school. I started putting on pounds in 7th grade. You can see that my face was becoming fuller in the school photos. I was a solid size 16 in ninth grade. I lost some weight by tenth grade and even more when I entered the military before my eighteenth birthday. I was a skinny 130 size 10 at age nineteen. This was soon to change as I married and had my daughter in 2000. I was about 190 give or take during my last month of pregnancy.

I did what all new mothers do and tried to shed those post baby pounds. But I wasn't very successful as my routine and lifestyle changed. I was now a stay at home mom and the pounds stayed put. When I returned to work in 2005 I dropped weight to hit 170. And after changing jobs to something more sedentary the pounds started to creep on. This is where my journey to my scary costume photo began without me even having a clue.

My father passed away suddenly of a heart attack in 2006. I put about 10 pounds on. My family and I did an abrupt move to care for my mother in 2007 then moved again just a month after. I put on another several pounds. My mother had emergency surgery for cancer in 2008. I went from a size 16 to a size 18. My mother moved in with us in 2010 as her cancer returned and was terminal. I was pushing that size 18.

A few short years after my mother passed, my daughter became ill and required care for several years until her health returned. I really started putting the weight on. I dropped a few pounds getting down to 217 but another abrupt move with loads of stress led to more weight gain. I was in the 230's in 2015 and 2016. I hit the 240's by 2017 and by October of 2018 I was 262. You would think that I would have noticed my weight gain, stopped eating garbage in massive portions and exercised, but no. I was so distracted by life that the pounds seemed to occur overnight.

So what does this photo say to me? It expresses pain, sorrow, stress, resentment, guilt, hopelessness, disappointment, and a thousand other words. I had eaten to compress my emotions for over 20 years. And no I never put the puzzle pieces together for an ah ha moment until I dressed for Halloween. It's a sad reality that so may people experience. It is just recently that I sat down and took the time to discover how I came to the place I am today. I am an emotional eater. I have been since middle school age. Coping with food to deal with school bullies and multiple moves by consuming after school bread and butter sandwiches sprinkled with sugar. Multiple servings of dinner. Food celebrations for every event under the sun. And now I have to get control now before my weight makes me sick or even worse ends my life prematurely. I am fortunate that I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure. However I have had knee and hip pain, low energy, mood swings, etc that are likely due to my weight and diet.

So January 2019 I decided I would not look like this wide load in October of 2019. I started the Keto diet. Bought myself some tools and started to lose weight. So the next time I take a picture the thousand words that come to mind will be more positive. Perhaps they will say hard work, healthy eating, stress management, joy, pride, determination, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Searching: What Am I Doing with My Life

I remember this little book my mom kept that recorded my school memories, photos, and it had a space for writing in what I wanted to be that year. Each year this changed. One year I wanted to be a ballerina, a cowgirl, a firefighter etc. When I was in about fourth grade I made plans with my friend Elizabeth that we would both marry and live in one big house and rasie our families together. By middle school I didn't think much about my future, as I was being bullied terribly by a girl named Erica. She made my daily life at school a misery. Once we moved Erica was long gone and I made new friendships. By this time I was in 7th grade and all I could think of was dating and high school. High school arrived and I started to dream of writing comic books in New York or working in animation for Walt Disney. I started dreaming again. This is the beauty of youth, you dream, you aspire to become something. By seventeen I entered the military after being uncertain about choosing a major in

Bacon Makes Your Clothes Fall Off

If you haven't heard of the Keto Diet you may be living under a rock. Keto is the newest craze that dieters across the US are flocking to. You will see Keto products on the shelves in the diet/nutrition section of your supermarket, as well as TV commercials for Keto weight loss shakes, meals, etc. It's not surprising that the Keto craze began, because the first things you hear about this diet are that you can eat all of the bacon, butter, and cheese you want. No calorie counting just eat bacon and fat and your clothes will fall off. So you are intrigued by this mouth watering offer and you start researching Keto. There are many websites, books, social media groups, and videos available at your finger tips. Many people share their before and after photos, which make your jaw drop. You can do this to if you just throw that bagel in the garbage and pick up that buttered bacon. So of course this seems like the solution to my weight problem. I simply love to eat. And now I hea

Life's Cross Roads

This blog has been a variety of things since its creation. It started out as research for a job. Then became a personal journal. But I always enjoy using it to express myself and let out my opinion or emotions out and onto the virtual page. It has been too long since I used this outlet for my self, so here goes nothing. I have recently discovered that I am wandering through my life without a compass, map, or guide. I have spent the last 20 years of my life just wandering. I have had no real sense of purpose or direction and this never bothered me until now. It's like I woke up from a dream and was like where am I? I am approaching 40 years of age. I currently am a housewife and trying to accept the fact that my daughter is rapidly approaching adulthood. My husband is driven daily by his side business and my daughter is dreaming of traveling abroad in the near future. I personally feel lost. should I go back to work outside the home? I really have no desire to go back to school o