Skip to main content

Self Searching: What Am I Doing with My Life

I remember this little book my mom kept that recorded my school memories, photos, and it had a space for writing in what I wanted to be that year. Each year this changed. One year I wanted to be a ballerina, a cowgirl, a firefighter etc. When I was in about fourth grade I made plans with my friend Elizabeth that we would both marry and live in one big house and rasie our families together. By middle school I didn't think much about my future, as I was being bullied terribly by a girl named Erica. She made my daily life at school a misery. Once we moved Erica was long gone and I made new friendships. By this time I was in 7th grade and all I could think of was dating and high school. High school arrived and I started to dream of writing comic books in New York or working in animation for Walt Disney. I started dreaming again. This is the beauty of youth, you dream, you aspire to become something.

By seventeen I entered the military after being uncertain about choosing a major in college. I had no real direction in which I wanted my life to go. After a few years in the service I met my husband and our daughter was born. After leaving the military and becoming a stay at home mother, my husband and I decided once she was old enough to begin school I would start a job. So once kindergarten began, so did my first job. I enjoyed working. I enjoyed meeting new people and friendships with co-workers. But I never found my place, my calling.

I have had around eight different jobs since leaving the service. And though each one was a learning experience, none ever felt like it's what I have been meant to do with my life. Now as I approach the age of 40 and my daughter nears adulthood, I am questioning what am I doing with my life? Is there something I should be doing with it? Should I go back to work outisde the home? I am feeling lost as who I was in my teens and twenties is no longer who I identify with. My religious preference has changed. The things I view as important have changed. The way I see myself as a woman as a human being has changed.

So how does one begin to know the who, what, when, where, how in their life? I guess this is where the new year is taking me. 2017 is my year of self searching, rebuilding, and realizing what I want to be in this life. I am still young and healthy and have many years to experience a whole other chapter. So cheers to a new year, with new experiences.  Let the journey begin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Makes Your Clothes Fall Off

If you haven't heard of the Keto Diet you may be living under a rock. Keto is the newest craze that dieters across the US are flocking to. You will see Keto products on the shelves in the diet/nutrition section of your supermarket, as well as TV commercials for Keto weight loss shakes, meals, etc. It's not surprising that the Keto craze began, because the first things you hear about this diet are that you can eat all of the bacon, butter, and cheese you want. No calorie counting just eat bacon and fat and your clothes will fall off. So you are intrigued by this mouth watering offer and you start researching Keto. There are many websites, books, social media groups, and videos available at your finger tips. Many people share their before and after photos, which make your jaw drop. You can do this to if you just throw that bagel in the garbage and pick up that buttered bacon. So of course this seems like the solution to my weight problem. I simply love to eat. And now I hea

Life's Cross Roads

This blog has been a variety of things since its creation. It started out as research for a job. Then became a personal journal. But I always enjoy using it to express myself and let out my opinion or emotions out and onto the virtual page. It has been too long since I used this outlet for my self, so here goes nothing. I have recently discovered that I am wandering through my life without a compass, map, or guide. I have spent the last 20 years of my life just wandering. I have had no real sense of purpose or direction and this never bothered me until now. It's like I woke up from a dream and was like where am I? I am approaching 40 years of age. I currently am a housewife and trying to accept the fact that my daughter is rapidly approaching adulthood. My husband is driven daily by his side business and my daughter is dreaming of traveling abroad in the near future. I personally feel lost. should I go back to work outside the home? I really have no desire to go back to school o