Skip to main content

My Heart Goes Out to those Effected by Teen Suicide


As a freelance writer, I write about many different subjects. Most often, my topics are mundane and business oriented. However, there are times when I write about subjects that touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes. I recently had to write a piece on teen suicide. An 18-year-old girl took her life after falling victim to sexual abuse. She gathered the courage to tell others (teachers, counselors, police), but detectives told her they had trouble believing her and it was left at that.

A year after she seeks help, justice, and healing she chooses to end her pain by suffocating herself at home. How this turns my stomach, fills my heart with pain, and leaves me to ask why someone did not do more for her. I have a young daughter. I warn her about people with dark intentions. I tell her to protect her body and to always tell someone in the event of the unthinkable. Nevertheless, this young woman spoke out and was ignored. On top of the pain she suffered from abuse she was shamed and shut out by those who she thought would help her.

What does this say about the world we live in? How can you tell your children to trust in police officers, teachers, clergy, and others who we have come to rely on as community helpers? I feel as if the world I knew no longer exists. Every corner there is fear, hate, and sorrow. How do we as parents support and guide our children when we ourselves feel uncertain? Though I do not have this answer, I will move forward in this life with faith. Faith that there is still good in man and that there are still those who you can place you trust in.

I also want to tell those who have lost a friend or a family member to suicide to be strong. Cherish the memories and hold them close to your heart. Do not weigh yourself down with guilt. We always are left to believe we should have done more. Fill yourself with the loving memories of this person and move forward in life as a gift to them. For those young people who feel this world is too much or that no one cares this is not the case. There are people in this world who have not met you but care for you deeply. There are people in the world that would be a listening ear or a helping hand. If you feel like death is an escape, do not give in. Seek help and never give up. Call a suicide hotline 1-800-SUICIDE. If you feel like your plea for help goes unheard, tell someone else. Keep telling us until someone hears. Your voice, your life is precious. Life is worth the fight and the struggle. I know. For 10 things in life that make you, feel miserable there is the 1 thing in life that will make it all worthwhile. My love, thoughts, and prayers go out to Y-O-U!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words

I'm sure you've heard the phrase, " A picture is worth a thousand words". This phrase comes to mind  when I look at a photo of myself from October of 2018. The photo was taken during Halloween and I had dressed as a gypsy. No offense to anyone who has a "gypsy" heritage/ancestry. Since I was young I have been fascinated by old movies featuring the typical gypsy fortune teller. And I have loved this image with all of its magic and mystique ever since. So I was so excited to dress up and hand out candy. I took a photo of my garb in all its glory. Then upon seeing this image I was instantly saddened at what appeared before my eyes. Look at this fat lady. My goodness how did I become so wide? I was horrified at my now scary costume. I have struggled on and off with weight gain since high school. I started putting on pounds in 7th grade. You can see that my face was becoming fuller in the school photos. I was a solid size 16 in ninth grade. I lost some weig...

The Sinking Ship of Depression

If you are triggered by talk of depression please don't read any further. Take care of yourself. This post is a personal reflection of how someone without depression sees this illness and expresses personal opinions of such. I never really understood what depression was or what it looked like. Though to my surprise I had seen it before in my mother, it is still a mystery to me.  Sure I have had deep feelings of sadness over a loss of a loved one, a beloved pet, a friendship that unraveled, or a personal failure of some type. But I always shed my tears, took a nap, gorged on carbs and sugar and moved forward. But when someone close to you experiences depression you realize it is more than a deep sadness. It's this gnawing monster that lives inside of a person and they have to battle this beast daily. Some days are better than others, but I know when the monster is strong, those days are the worst. And this is looking on from the outside. I see the struggle to be strong. I ...

Bacon Makes Your Clothes Fall Off

If you haven't heard of the Keto Diet you may be living under a rock. Keto is the newest craze that dieters across the US are flocking to. You will see Keto products on the shelves in the diet/nutrition section of your supermarket, as well as TV commercials for Keto weight loss shakes, meals, etc. It's not surprising that the Keto craze began, because the first things you hear about this diet are that you can eat all of the bacon, butter, and cheese you want. No calorie counting just eat bacon and fat and your clothes will fall off. So you are intrigued by this mouth watering offer and you start researching Keto. There are many websites, books, social media groups, and videos available at your finger tips. Many people share their before and after photos, which make your jaw drop. You can do this to if you just throw that bagel in the garbage and pick up that buttered bacon. So of course this seems like the solution to my weight problem. I simply love to eat. And now I hea...