Skip to main content

Defeating my Stress Monster

Last week I was feeling majorly stressed out. There was stuff going on with friends, family, work, self, and it was all piling up. I spent a nightmare-induced evening that led to a painful cold sore the next morning. I realized I have to start letting things go and start working on stress reduction. You do not really know either how dangerous or damaging stress is until it directly affects your health or you educate yourself on the risks of unmanaged stress. Who knew stress could lead to advanced aging and disease? Why are we stressed out? How can you both prevent and treat stress without a prescribed pill? These questions have me searching for answers. I watched a documentary on stress that showed how baboons that live a stressful life die earlier than those with less stress do. Research shows that humans affected by stress suffer from heart disease, hypertension, anxiety, digestive disorders, and the list goes on. As I learn more about stress and how to fight it naturally, I want to share it with you. I have recently heard about how sound, music, and speech can soothe frayed nerves and reduce stress. Music therapy and guided meditation are first on my list. I am prepared to dive into new age therapies for stress relief and discover how to avoid the anxiety, excessive worry, and stress induced cold sores that often plague me. Here is to a journey of self-healing and hopefully a longer, healthier life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words

I'm sure you've heard the phrase, " A picture is worth a thousand words". This phrase comes to mind  when I look at a photo of myself from October of 2018. The photo was taken during Halloween and I had dressed as a gypsy. No offense to anyone who has a "gypsy" heritage/ancestry. Since I was young I have been fascinated by old movies featuring the typical gypsy fortune teller. And I have loved this image with all of its magic and mystique ever since. So I was so excited to dress up and hand out candy. I took a photo of my garb in all its glory. Then upon seeing this image I was instantly saddened at what appeared before my eyes. Look at this fat lady. My goodness how did I become so wide? I was horrified at my now scary costume. I have struggled on and off with weight gain since high school. I started putting on pounds in 7th grade. You can see that my face was becoming fuller in the school photos. I was a solid size 16 in ninth grade. I lost some weig...

The Sinking Ship of Depression

If you are triggered by talk of depression please don't read any further. Take care of yourself. This post is a personal reflection of how someone without depression sees this illness and expresses personal opinions of such. I never really understood what depression was or what it looked like. Though to my surprise I had seen it before in my mother, it is still a mystery to me.  Sure I have had deep feelings of sadness over a loss of a loved one, a beloved pet, a friendship that unraveled, or a personal failure of some type. But I always shed my tears, took a nap, gorged on carbs and sugar and moved forward. But when someone close to you experiences depression you realize it is more than a deep sadness. It's this gnawing monster that lives inside of a person and they have to battle this beast daily. Some days are better than others, but I know when the monster is strong, those days are the worst. And this is looking on from the outside. I see the struggle to be strong. I ...

Bacon Makes Your Clothes Fall Off

If you haven't heard of the Keto Diet you may be living under a rock. Keto is the newest craze that dieters across the US are flocking to. You will see Keto products on the shelves in the diet/nutrition section of your supermarket, as well as TV commercials for Keto weight loss shakes, meals, etc. It's not surprising that the Keto craze began, because the first things you hear about this diet are that you can eat all of the bacon, butter, and cheese you want. No calorie counting just eat bacon and fat and your clothes will fall off. So you are intrigued by this mouth watering offer and you start researching Keto. There are many websites, books, social media groups, and videos available at your finger tips. Many people share their before and after photos, which make your jaw drop. You can do this to if you just throw that bagel in the garbage and pick up that buttered bacon. So of course this seems like the solution to my weight problem. I simply love to eat. And now I hea...